Darul Uloom Abu Bakr enrolments now open for 2010. Aalim course, school-going and full-time Hifz. Phone +27 (0) 84 574 9891 or email darululoom@telkomsa.net for more details.

Monday, May 5, 2008

A Sahaabi Jinn

A SAHAABI JINN OF RASOOLULLAH sallallahu alaihi wa sallam
Hasan narrates that once we came to Abur-Rahaa Al Ataaridi and asked him if he had any knowledge of the Jinn who took the bay’ah (pledge) of Islam from Rasoolullah sallallahu alaihi wa sallam. He smiled and said: “Indeed, I shall tell you what I saw and what I heard in this regard.” He then went on to narrate a fascinating story. “We were on a journey when our caravan stopped at the time of noon. We put up our tents to gain some respite from the stifling afternoon heat.


As I lay in my tent, I was suddenly confronted by a snake that appeared very agitated and distressed but it never threatened me. I picked up a jug and began sprinkling some water on the snake. No sooner had I done this when it became completely calm and relaxed. But the moment I stopped sprinkling water on it, it started its agitation and restlessness once again. Every time I sprinkled water on it, the snake calmed down, and when I stopped, it would resume its erratic behaviour. I was absolutely intrigued by this strange scene, so I told my companions to delay their departure so that I could monitor the snake’s behaviour.
By Asr time I noticed that the snake lay very still, and on further inspection I realised that it had died. My instinct told me that this was a special snake, so I took great care in wrapping its dead body in a clean cloth and gave it a decent burial. Later that day our caravan moved on. Our next stopover was only the following day.

We stopped at a very isolated oasis in the desert. As we were busy setting up our camp and preparing for salaah, suddenly a loud voice from the surrounding bushes called out to us. This is what the voice shouted:

“Salaam upon you all, not once, not twice, not even a thousand times, but much more than that!” I replied: ‘Wa alaykum salaam. And who are you?’ The voice replied: “We are Jinn. May Allah grant you barakaat, for you have done a favour to us which we cannot repay.” I then asked: “And what favour did we do for you”? The Jinn replied: “The snake that died was one of us (Jinn) and he was the last surviving Jinn who had taken the pledge of Islam from Rasoolullah (sallallahu alayhi wasallam).” (Extracted from the book Hawaatiful-Jinn)